Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

wrapping up...


A view overlooking a portion of Kabira.

An enjoyable moment at my surprise party.

The waiting line for VCT day.

One last family picture...
It's hard to believe I'm leaving on a jet plane (bring on the chorus) in just a few short hours. But before I leave, I want to leave with some last reflections on my short time in Kenya. On Tuesday, we held the VCT day at the clinic. According to Kenya traditional culture, we remained "pole pole" (slowly, slowly). By 8am, some men and mothers started to arrive astonished. "Is it true? Are you really having HIV testing in Shikokho today?" While I assured them that it was really going to happen, there were points in the day that it was almost called off. There were many obstacles including not being able to test individuals under 18 due to Kenyan regulations. This was a huge blow, as I was really hoping to prioritize the registered orphans to help complete the medical charts we've been compiling for them and so that they can get the treatment they need to live longer and healthier lives. But I was greatl encouraged that most of the guardians of the orphans stayed around for the test (or the incentive of soap that I was giving). Finally around 12:45 pm, testing began. In all we tested 12 pregnant mothers (whom I gave priority to go first because they were getting hungry and angry), and 41 other community members before the counselor nurses had to go home because it was getting dark. We turned away at over 20 people including eager secondary school students. At the end of the day, I was greatly inspired by the courage of so many who came forward to learn their status. As expected, there were positive tests but at least these people were referred for free anti-retroviral treatment.
On Wednesday, after an intense meeting negotiating costs of future monthly VCT days and running last minute errands I arrived at the clinic just in time for my "surprise party." I actually knew it was coming and had been inquiring through others so as to be present and not out on errands. But I didn't know what exactly this party entailed. There was some very moving Luhya music, dancing, the presentation of a traditional African dress (and the ugliest pendant I have every seen much less worn), and speeches by everyone present. It was a joyful afair until people began to use their speeches to blast and insult others in the room and make them cry. The whole internship I have been battling community politics and have managed to remain friends with everyone and propose/enact reforms. But on Wednesday, all community tensions I have struggled with came out in the open and I was left speechless (not literally, I did give a good-bye speech). But this too had many important lessons for me. Many things that were deliberately hidden from me and facts that didn't add up were fleshed out and in the end, I'm glad I learned these things even if it did make for a terrible party.
My last day in the village, I was asked to take firm sides and be offensive, but I decided to avoid all of this by throwing a short party for the staff in the morning and spend the day at home with my family. Even as community members came to my house asking me to come and take actions, I politely refused as I wanted (perhaps selfishly) to leave in peace. Unfortunately, I still couldn't play with my oldest brother as he was incapacitated from Saturday's circumcision but I ended reading the famed, "Brown Bear" as many times as my little brothers and sisters requested. (I now have the book memorized and am available for professional readings followed by thunderous snapping).
A tearful good-bye the following morning, and I was off to Nairobi. The first time I arrived in Nairobi, I was less than impressed. But after living in a small rural village for eight weeks, I can't believe how big it is. This afternoon I visited Kabira, the huge slum featured in the movie, "The Constant Gardner." It's hard to know how to describe it-I've included a picture. Weaving in and out of sewage, I was lucky enough not to be hit by "flying toilets." Since there are no latrines, much less toilets, people go in a bucket and let it fly in any direction once it is full.
I'm out of wise words or funny quips-I think I've emotionally shut down because there has been too much happening at once. Hopefully I will see you all in a few days and will have processed a bit more by then.
"Finally, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8 As I look back and reflect on my short time in Kenya, God has provided mightily and beyond my biggest expectations. There is too much to take in now, but I am left with many noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, and excellent memories.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz