Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

looking over the edge of something much too deep...

Lately I've been oscilating between moments of doubt in myself/my abilities, exuberant anticipation, and disbelief that my summer meeting with Kenya is actually going to take place. On Saturday evening, I begin my latest journey into the unknown. But not before I relive my favorite past with a week of comfort in lazy sleep-in days with ice cream for breakfast and plenty of TV-filmed deliveries ala "A Baby Story". (Why is that show so addicting?) So here's the plan if you haven't heard: I will spend a week as an American tourist in search of exotic game on a personalized safari and eight weeks as an intern at the Shikokho Medical Clinic in a small Kenyan village near Lake Victoria. I've bought gifts for my host family, for my co-workers at the clinic, and even a guide for myself. Yet I know I'm far from being prepared. But how does one prepare for the unknown? Well, I suppose one could argue that life and/or death is just a big unknown and we prepare in the only ways we know how: breathing in and out. Some stand still and reach out to feel with their arms into the darkness until they are assured there's nothing threatening within their reach. Some people proceed cautiously with small steps into the darkness, never knowing where they will stub their toe on a bump or where a giant step or drop awaits them. Others move on with abandon-running, skipping and jumping from moment to moment. I guess for me the difference is knowing that I'm not alone in this journey-I walk behind, alongside, and on the back of One who has lived, died and lived again: the perfect guide. In this truth, fear and uncertainty can be vanquished in regards to my future: I am not in control, yet I know One who is. Looking to the next adventure!

Comments:
woohoo! dawny on blogspot! safe travels darlin, i can't wait to read all about it this summer! miss you! :)
 
excellent inaugural post. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures. My friend moved to Tanzania a few months ago and she's writing about it as well: http://daressalaamdiary.blogspot.com/
 
Dawn - I have your blog in my newsreader. I'm looking forward to reading your dispatches from afar! Good luck and God Bless.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz